Plan your Snowmobile Ride
As soon as the snow is deep enough—generally from December to mid-March or later—the Québec City, Charlevoix, and Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean areas turn into a snowmobiler’s paradise, with enough immaculate trails (over 5,000 km!) to keep everyone happy.
Here’s what you need to know to plan a successful snowmobiling expedition, either on your own or with a guide.
Guided Snowmobile Tours
Snowmobiling with a guide makes it easy to explore the very best terrain. Many companies offer tour packages with everything you need: the machine, the outfit, the trail fee, insurance, and your guide. You can try it out for a few hours or ride through mountains, forests, and fields for days.
Guided Tours Starting from Québec City
- Nord Expé : An industry leader in safe guided tours, with packages and rides for all types of riders. You can even explore Charlevoix or Monts-Valin in Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean.
- Stadacona Aventures : Located at the crossroads of several trails in Portneuf, with experienced guides who know all the routes and backcountry sectors in the area.
- Au Chalet en Bois Rond : This charming resort village has a number of outdoor activities on offer, including a guided half-day ride.
- Aventure Inukshuk : Based out of Station touristique Duchesnay, this operator does two- and three-day guided tours with stays in rustic huts.
- Voyage Motoneige Québec : This operator is just 15 minutes from Québec’s city centre and does guided rides combined with other activities.
- Auberge du P'tit Bonheur : The perfect place to try snowmobiling with the family (children 9 years and older). Located on Île d’Orléans.
Guided Tours Starting from Charlevoix
- Nord Expé : Get ready for the ride of a lifetime on some of the most gorgeous trails in Charlevoix. Numerous route options available.
- Top Location Charlevoix : Located at the entrance to the most scenic trail network in the province. With the mountains and the St. Lawrence River, it’s guaranteed to be a memorable ride. Explore the most scenic trails in Charlevoix on high-performance machines, with stunning views on and off the trails. You can even go on a guided fur-trapping tour and have lunch at the trapping camp.
Guided Tours Starting from Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean
Contact-Nature / Okwari Adventures : Ride across magnificent winter landscapes in Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean. Experienced guides take you to all the best spots. Introductory package with ice fishing also available.
Destination Monts-Valin (Monts-Valin area) : See a whole other side of Monts-Valin on a guided backcountry tour. A safe expedition with experienced guides. Guided trail rides also available.
Équinox Aventure (Lac-Saint-Jean area) : Explore Lac-Saint-Jean and the lake islands. You’ll get an introduction to snowmobiling, learn how to ride safely, and learn how to ride off trail.
Évasion sport Laterrière (Saguenay area) : Your trusted snowmobile shop. This family-owned business has been renting snowmobiles and running guided tours for over 25 years.
- OrganisAction (Fjord area) - Explore a lesser-known part of the province with experienced guides know all the Fjord area’s best trails and hidden gems.
- Pourvoirie Cap au Leste (Saguenay / Monts-Valin area) : Enjoy one of the best views of the Fjord from Pourvoirie du Cap au Leste and get out into a winter wonderland. A number of multi-activity packages are available.
Resources for Snowmobilers
Whether you’re renting or coming equipped with your own snowmobiles, the following tools will help you plan your ride:
Interactive Trail Map
This digital map from Québec’s snowmobiling association gives you a great view of the entire FCMQ trail network and all the different routes you can take, so you can map out your ride ahead of time. You can calculate distances, get trail conditions, and see the services, rest areas, and places to stay all along your route.
The Snowmobile Application (iMotoneige)
The iMotoneige app gives you access to tons of crucial information during your ride, including your current position, routes, trail conditions, and descriptions of services and attractions along the trail. If you have data on your phone, you’ll also be able to see when the trails were last groomed, how deep the snowpack is, and what the weather’s doing.
For those who prefer printed maps, it is also possible to get some:
- Québec City and Area: Download the map or order a copy
- Charlevoix : Download or order a copy
- Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean: Download the map
Québec Snowmobile Pass
You must buy a permit to be on snowmobile trials in Québec. The permit gives you access to 33,000 km of trails maintained by snowmobile clubs throughout the province and is valid for one, three, or seven days. You can also buy a permit for the entire season. Liability insurance is included. Click here to buy your permit online.
Snowmobile rental companies will equip you with everything you need for your expedition and can also give you valuable advice. The following companies rent snowmobiles that you can take out on your own:
- Québec City and Area : Stadacona Aventures, Nord Expé, Au Chalet en Bois Rond, Voyage motoneige Québec
- Charlevoix : Nord Expé et Top Location Charlevoix
- Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean : Destination Monts-Valin, Équinox Aventure, Évasion Sport Laterrière, OrganisAction, Pourvoirie Cap au Leste
The following hotels have secure parking lots for snowmobiles—some with video surveillance—so you can rest easy on your expedition.
- Québec City and Area : Double Tree by Hilton Québec Resort, Hôtel le Roquemont, Manoir du Lac Sept-Îles
- Charlevoix : Hôtel Baie Saint-Paul, Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu, Petit Manoir du Casino, Motel Horizon
- Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean : Centre Vacances Nature - Auberge Éva, Hôtel La Saguenéenne, Hôtel Le Montagnais, Hôtel Universel Alma, Chalets & Spa Lac Saint-Jean
For even more adventures in Eastern Québec, extend your stay and go exploring the Côte-Nord, Gaspésie and Bas-Saint-Laurent.