Shopping Hours & Official Holidays
Information on shopping hours, statutory holidays, peak season, postal service and grocery stores near Old Québec to help you plan your stay in Québec City.
What are the Shopping Hours in Québec City?
Most businesses, including shopping centres, are open as follows:
Monday to Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Thursday and Friday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday: 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (some merchants may only open at noon)
Business hours are usually longer in December and in tourist areas.
Stores are usually closed during statutory holidays, but certain merchants (supermarkets, SAQ outlets, etc.) may remain open.
When is the High Season in Québec City?
- Peak season is from May to October and in February, during the Québec Winter Carnival. Many resorts are located near the ski centres and the peak season runs from mid-December to March inclusively. Spring break in Québec City is usually the first week of March.
See also when is the best time to visit Québec City.
What are the Statutory Holidays in Québec?
Most banks, businesses and government offices are closed on the following legal holidays:
- New Year's (January 1)
- Good Friday (March or April)
- Easter Monday (March or April)
- Victoria Day (second to last Monday in May)
- Québec National Holiday (June 24)
- Canada Day (July 1)
- Labour Day (first Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving Day (second Monday in October)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
Does Canada Have a Postal Service?
Canadian postage stamps must be used to mail letters and postcards from Canada.
Post offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. During their business hours, drugstores, convenience stores and the like also offer postal services including the purchase of stamps. The telephone number for postal information is 1-800-267-1177.
There is a post office and a philatelic counter in Old Québec at 5, rue du Fort, near the Château Frontenac.
List of Grocery Stores near Old Québec and Downtown
- L’intermarché, 850, rue Saint-Jean, G1R 1R3 (Saint-Jean-Baptiste neighbourhood)
- L’intermarché, 272, rue Saint-Joseph Est, G1K 3A9 (Saint-Roch neighbourhood)
- Metro Plus Mail St-Roch, 860, boulevard Charest Est, G1K 8S5 (Saint-Roch neighbourhood)
- L’intermarché, 435, rue Saint-Vallier Ouest, G1K 1K9 (Saint-Sauveur neighbourhood)