The Best Ice Skating Rinks and Trails
Skating in the Québec City region holds special appeal, whether you can barely stand on skates or you’re a skating acrobat! Take full advantage of winter with this Nordic activity with friends, family, or that special someone. Don't miss the best part about ice skating: warming up with a hot chocolate! Here is our selection of the most beautiful outdoor skating rinks, forest trails and indoor skating rinks in the Québec region.
Ice Skating in Town
Place D'Youville skating rink
Setting: Skate in the heart of the action at Place D’Youville! Glide across a refrigerated rink amid the ambiance of Old Québec, just across the ramparts.
When: From mi-November to mid-March
Where to warm up with a hot drink nearby: Café-boulangerie Paillard
Plains of Abraham skating rink
- Setting: Enjoy this winter pleasure in a magical setting on the Plains of Abraham, a charming historic site.
- When: From mid-December to mid-March
- Where to warm up with a hot drink nearby: Café Krieghoff on avenue Cartier or inside Musée national des beaux-arts (fine art museum)
Other ice rinks in the city
- Pointe-aux-Lièvres: A 1.5 kilometre trail lit in the evening and offering a panoramic view of the Upper Town.
- Domaine Maizerets: Skating rink lit in the evening located on an historic site.
Forest Skating Trails Around Québec City
- Parc du Grand Héron, Audrey Dionne
Fill your lungs with fresh air and skate in the forest amid exceptional country landscapes while marveling at the surrounding beauty!
Village Vacances Valcartier
- Setting: Ice Skating trail with lighting and sound systems winding more than a kilometre through Village Vacances Valcartier, the largest winter playground in North America.
- When: From mid-December to end of March
- Where to warm up with a hot drink nearby: At one of the restaurants on premises
Other Ice Skating Trails
- Lac-Beauport: A 3-kilometre rink on a lake located near Le Relais ski resort (no rental available). 230, chemin du Tour-du-Lac, Lac-Beauport.
- Cities of Shannon and Sainte-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier both maintain nice ice skating trails through the forest.
- Sports Chalet, 73 chemin de Gosford, Shannon
- Parc du Grand Héron, 4 rue Louis Jolliet, Sainte-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier
Indoor Skating Rinks
Centre de glaces Intact Assurance
Québec City is now home to a new sports complex dedicated to skating in all its forms. The Centre de glaces Intact Assurance has lots of timeslots for the general public, so locals and visitors can get out on the ice. You can go skating on the Olympic oval or running on the indoor track, all while taking in the view through the high windows that run all around the building.
Méga Parc des Galeries de la Capitale's Ice Track
The largest indoor amusement park in Québec is also home to a 750-foot long skating trail all around the Méga Parc. With the rides, the many boutiques and the Imax cinema, there is something to keep the whole family occupied for hours!
Please note that skating rinks are open depending on weather conditions. We recommend calling ahead to confirm.
The selected skating rinks offer skate rental on-site, unless otherwise indicated.