How to Visit Québec City's Attractions Without a Car
- Shuttle: The Old Québec Tours Blue Loop shuttle runs between the tourist information centre across from the Château Frontenac (where you can buy tickets) and the base of the falls. Only in summer. May 25 to October 27, 2019.
- City bus (RTC): Take the 800 Metrobus towards Beauport and get off at “Montmorency” (#3473). From there it’s just a few minutes to the suspension bridge at the top of the falls.
- Bike: For an adventure you won’t forget, take Corridor du Littoral, a fantastic bike path that takes you right to the falls. Ask for directions at your bike rental place. It’s about 12 km (7.5 miles) one-way from the Old Port.
Jacques-Cartier National Park
- Shuttle : Quatre Natures offers a shuttle service departing from Old Québec every day all year.
- Bus: Intercar has once-a-day service to the visitor centre in the park that departs from the Sainte-Foy bus terminal at 6 a.m. and the Québec City bus terminal at 6:40 a.m., with the bus back departing from the visitor centre at 2:50 p.m. The bus runs daily this year from June 21 to September 2, 2019 and Saturdays and Sundays from September 7 to October 14, 2019.
*Other departure times are available, but the bus stops 10 km (just over 6 miles) from the visitor centre.
Reserve online with Intercar or at the bus terminal.
Aquarium du Québec
- Shuttle: The Old Québec Tours Orange Loop shuttle runs between the tourist information centre across from the Château Frontenac and Aquarium du Québec. Only in summer, June 1st to October 6 October, 2019.
- City bus (RTC): Routes 13 and 25 take you close to the Aquarium. Get off at the “des Hôtels” stop (#1926). From there, it’s a 650 metre walk to the Aquarium (just under half a mile).
Grand marché de Québec (Public Market)
- Free shuttle: The shuttle runs every hour from Place d'Armes (in front of the Château Frontenac, starting at 9:45). Available from June 14 to October 14, 2019.
- City bus (RTC): Route 3 will take you close to the Public Market. Get off at the “Le Grand Marché” stop (#2943).
Village Vacances Valcartier
Hôtel de Glace (Ice Hotel)
- Shuttle: From January to end of March, departure from Old Québec with Old Québec Tours.
- Public Transit: PLUMobile offers a daily service between Île d'Orléans and Québec City available from Monday to Friday. Several boarding points in Québec City such as Place D'Youville and Gare du Palais (train station). All parishes on the island have a boarding point without reservation located within walking distance of major tourist sites.
- Guided tours: Old Québec Tours and Québec Bus Tours both have food tours departing from major city-centre hotels. If you prefer to explore the island in a sea kayak, go for a tour with Quatre Natures.
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Shrine / Mont-Sainte-Anne
- Public transit: PLUMobile offers a daily service between the Shrine / Mont-Sainte-Anne and Québec City available from Monday to Friday. Several boarding points in Québec City such as Place D'Youville and Gare du Palais (train station).
- Guided tours: Old Québec Tours have bus tours including a visit of the Shrine departing from major city-centre hotels.
Laurier Québec / Place de la Cité / Place Sainte-Foy Shopping Centre Complex
- Shuttle: The Old Québec Tours Orange Loop shuttle runs between the tourist information centre and the Laurier Québec mall.
- City bus (RTC): There are plenty of routes connecting the three shopping centres to the city centre. The 800, the 801, and the 11 are the best choices.
How to to Enjoy Winter Activities Without Driving in the Snow
- On foot: Starting in mid‑November, you can hit the ice at Place D’Youville. With the lights and music, it’s the ultimate urban setting for a turn around the rink, any day of the week. Open until 10 p.m., it’s especially beautiful at night, in the glow of the surrounding city. Starting mid-December, the ice oval on the Plains of Abraham will also be ready to welcome skaters daily. Both rinks are free and offer low‑cost equipment rentals.
- On foot: In the heart of Old Québec, on Dufferin Terrace, there’s a tradition that dates back over a hundred years: the toboggan run. What fun!
Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing
- On foot: You’ll find nearly 12 km of cross‑country ski trails and 4 km of snowshoeing trails on the Plains of Abraham. If you’re staying nearby, you can even put your skis or snowshoes on right at your hotel and head straight for this fantastic urban park.
- Public bus (RTC): You can take the 800 bus (get off at Bardy #1756) for a visit to Domaine Maizerets, where the trails criss‑cross landscaped areas and natural woodlands.
- Shuttle: Mont-Sainte-Anne and Le Massif ski areas are both easily accessible from Québec City. Just hop on the Ski Bus, which picks up passengers at all the major hotels in the city centre.
- Shuttle: Stadacona Aventures has a package deal that puts you in the driver’s seat for six hours, with all the necessary equipment, a guide, a meal, and even a local beer and cheese tasting session. Transportation to and from Québec City is available for a fee.
- Shuttle: Quatre Natures offers a day-long backcountry skiing package with a professional guide that includes all the necessary equipment as well as transportation to and from Québec City.
- On foot: Located 2 km from Musée de la civilisation, Strøm Spa is within walking distance. However, you will probably opt for a taxi or a bus ride (on route 1, stop at Champlain #1120).
- Public bus (RTC): For a more urban atmosphere, the Skyspa is accessible via bus routes 800 and 801 (get off at J.-Dallaire #2000).
- Public bus (RTC) : Fat biking is a hot new winter sport that lets you ride over the snow on bikes equipped with oversized tires. To try it at Domaine Maizerets, hop on the 800 bus and get off at Bardy #1756.
- Shuttle: Try an electric fat bike in the beautiful Jacques-Cartier National Park with return transportation from Québec City with Aventures Quatre-Nature.
How to Get to the Main Events and Festivals Without a Car
During certain major events or festivals, such as during Festival d'été de Québec, Grands Feux Loto-Québec, and Festibière, several shows at the Videotron Center and several other events, it is possible to leave your car in a free parking lot and take a special shuttle.